Mental Floss website, a list of words one MUST know - just for the sheer fun of it! Besides, who wouldn't want to know a word that literally means "grief bacon"??
1. Kummerspeck (German): Excess weight gained from emotional overeating. Literally, grief bacon.
2. Paper-belly: A person unable to drink liquor straight, or one who grimaces after drinking.
3. Petrichor: The clean, pleasant smell that accompanies rain falling on dry ground. It’s from the Greek petra (stone) and ichor (the blood of Greek gods and goddesses). The term was coined by two Australian researchers in 1964.
4. milliHelen: The quantity of beauty required to launch just one ship.
5. Dysania: Having difficulty getting out of bed in the morning.
6. Karoshi (Japanese): Death from being overworked.
7. Lawn Mullet: A neatly manicured front yard and an unmowed mess in the back.
8. Koi No Yokan (Japanese): The sense upon first meeting a person that the two of you will fall in love.
9. The Wheaton: The delightfully geeky Wil Wheaton
was one of the first celebs to attract a massive number of followers.
When half a million people subscribed to his Tweets, that number was
dubbed a Wheaton by John Kovalic. Today, Wil Wheaton actually has about
10. Oldfangled: Old fashioned.
11. Bakku-shan (Japanese): The experience of seeing a woman who appears pretty from behind but not from the front.
12. Zeg (Georgian): The day after tomorrow. Why don’t we have a word for the day after tomorrow?
13. Crwth: An ancient Celtic musical instrument. Comes in handy when you’ve got no vowels in Words With Friends.
14. Punk Day: A day when children are admitted to a carnival or circus free.
15. Badinage: Playful, joking banter.
16. Pretzel-bender: 1. A peculiar person; an
eccentric; one who thinks in a round-about manner. 2. A player of the
French horn. 3. A wrestler. 4. A heavy drinker; one who frequents bars.
17. Glabella: The space between the eyebrows.
18. Tsktsks: Who knows? But it’s the longest
vowel-free word you can play in Words With Friends (however, its play in
WWF is only possible should you elect to use a blank tile as the second
‘K,’ since there is only one ‘K’ tile per game).
19. Gay-cat: A hobo not wise to the ways of hobo life; a hobo who is considered unacceptable by his fellows.
Being a human is ... messy. Our relationships with loved ones get strained, we get angry or upset, we say stuff we shouldn't .... We ...
If you're a football fan, you know what an end run is. From Merriam-Webster: a football play in which the ballcarrier attempts to ru...
I recently spent a week in the hospital. Two of those days, I was in the regular ol' hospital because my blood pressure was out of wha...
Today is the feast of Ss. Basil the Great and Gregory Nazianzen - men both known for their wisdom. "Wisdom" can be a tricky th...