Lessons learned from Nancy Drew
It means a lot to me, not simply because it was a gift. I was one of those girls who grew up on Nancy Drew; they are fun stories, adventurous, with a gal full of moxie right in the thick of things. And I learned a lot from that little blond detective:
1. Dress well. You never know what the day will bring and dressing like a lady means you'll always fit in, whether you're suddenly invited to a spontaneous dinner by a potential beau or sleuthing through an old house full of clues. If you're wearing ratty sweat pants and an old concert t-shirt, you've seriously hampered your choices for the day.
2. Reliable transportation is a must for every girl. Now, I don't have a sporty little roadster to get around in, but I try to make sure my car is running well. No sense getting stuck in the middle of nowhere on a dark and stormy night.
3. The best way to get through life is with a few good chums. A cute boy - well-mannered and attentive - helps too. However, one's life doesn't need to revolve around him; a girl has things to do, after all!
4. It's occasionally necessary to make a scene if you're trying to prevent something bad from happening or attempting to get justice for someone. Normally, I wouldn't suggest a lady run around yelling her head off, but sometimes, you have to!
5. It's okay to be the smart girl. In fact, it's downright fun to be the smart girl.
I keep this book by my desk because, some days, it can be a little tough juggling all the things I have to do. Nancy and her mysterious ways remind me that I've got the charm, the moxie, the wardrobe and the brains to do what I need to do.
Being a human is ... messy. Our relationships with loved ones get strained, we get angry or upset, we say stuff we shouldn't .... We ...
If you're a football fan, you know what an end run is. From Merriam-Webster: a football play in which the ballcarrier attempts to ru...
I recently spent a week in the hospital. Two of those days, I was in the regular ol' hospital because my blood pressure was out of wha...
Today is the feast of Ss. Basil the Great and Gregory Nazianzen - men both known for their wisdom. "Wisdom" can be a tricky th...