Life with an Irish Catholic Mother
Mom, being an Irish Catholic, has lived her life with a completely different set of rules. Here are some of them:
1. Don't go anywhere without a Rosary. And pray it; it isn't there for decoration.
2. Whiskey is medicinal.
3. Do not suffer fools lightly.
4. The Catholic Church is yours. It is not the domain of the priest, some nun dressed in an ill-fitting suit, or a renegade bishop. Don't let any of them hijack your faith.
5. Never pass up the opportunity to hold a baby.
6. The first rule of a successful marriage is knowing when to keep your mouth shut.
7. Mothers are mothers, not friends.
8. Be a lady. But keep in mind that "lady" does not mean push-over, patsy, idiot, or doormat.
9. Dress for church.
10. The greatest gift you can give is your prayer.
11. Baseball is a great sport. Her addiction has been passed down, mostly to the ladies in the family.
She's a pretty incredible woman.
Being a human is ... messy. Our relationships with loved ones get strained, we get angry or upset, we say stuff we shouldn't .... We ...
If you're a football fan, you know what an end run is. From Merriam-Webster: a football play in which the ballcarrier attempts to ru...
I recently spent a week in the hospital. Two of those days, I was in the regular ol' hospital because my blood pressure was out of wha...
Today is the feast of Ss. Basil the Great and Gregory Nazianzen - men both known for their wisdom. "Wisdom" can be a tricky th...