Life with an Irish Catholic Mother
Mom, being an Irish Catholic, has lived her life with a completely different set of rules. Here are some of them:
1. Don't go anywhere without a Rosary. And pray it; it isn't there for decoration.
2. Whiskey is medicinal.
3. Do not suffer fools lightly.
4. The Catholic Church is yours. It is not the domain of the priest, some nun dressed in an ill-fitting suit, or a renegade bishop. Don't let any of them hijack your faith.
5. Never pass up the opportunity to hold a baby.
6. The first rule of a successful marriage is knowing when to keep your mouth shut.
7. Mothers are mothers, not friends.
8. Be a lady. But keep in mind that "lady" does not mean push-over, patsy, idiot, or doormat.
9. Dress for church.
10. The greatest gift you can give is your prayer.
11. Baseball is a great sport. Her addiction has been passed down, mostly to the ladies in the family.
She's a pretty incredible woman.
It is no surprise to anyone that the Catholic Church is still roiling in the clergy sex abuse scandal. And a scandal it is: I do not know ...
If you're a football fan, you know what an end run is. From Merriam-Webster: a football play in which the ballcarrier attempts to ru...
art by Sarah Taylor Ko When our family started visiting "our Sisters" once a month or so, I was assigned the job of cook. Whe...
Theological Questions Re' the Nature of God, Humanity and Our Co-Existence (or "Why Does God Hate Me So Much?")We got home from a lovely vacation this past weekend. Despite my neuroses and anxiety, everything went pretty darn well. Shout-out to AirB...