10 Musings on weddings
Here are some thoughts about the wedding and all that surrounds weddings these days.
1. You CAN do a beautiful wedding on a budget. It takes some work, but it can be done. The wedding we attended had many handmade touches, making it very personal and less expensive. Those TV shows where brides try and out-do each other with glitz, glamor and shenanigans miss the mark on personalization.
2. There are perfectly beautiful bridal gowns and bridesmaids dresses out there that don't break the bank or bare all. I saw it with my own eyes!
3. If you're attending a wedding, don't wear cargo shorts. Unless it's on a beach, and the airport lost your luggage. Even then...
4. If you're a young lady attending a wedding, know what size dress you wear and wear it. If you are "spilling out" over the top, constantly tugging the skirt down, cannot move on the dance floor without danger of an unseemly "accident", it's not a dress you should be wearing. You look trashy, not classy. I fear most of the young women at this wedding had this problem.
5. Watching couples who've been married 50+ years on the dance floor with the newly married couple is awesome. Great moment!
6. If you have to give the toast, write something down! Be prepared! Chances are you'll be nervous, and it's not a good time to have a cringe-worthy moment.
7. Go dance! Have fun! No one cares.
8. If you're the bride and groom, be gracious about hosting your reception. (This couple was, by the way!) Greet people, say hello, thank them. They are there to celebrate with you, not watch you as if you're the star of a Broadway production.
9. Why do I still hate the dollar dance? Ugh. Feels like auctioning off the bride. Icky.
10. If you're getting married, put twice as much effort into planning for your marriage as for the wedding. The wedding, lest we forget, is only one day. We pray the marriage lasts far longer.
Oh, and one more...
Theme weddings - gag! You already have a theme: you're getting MARRIED! Husband and wife. That's the "theme".
Being a human is ... messy. Our relationships with loved ones get strained, we get angry or upset, we say stuff we shouldn't .... We ...
If you're a football fan, you know what an end run is. From Merriam-Webster: a football play in which the ballcarrier attempts to ru...
I recently spent a week in the hospital. Two of those days, I was in the regular ol' hospital because my blood pressure was out of wha...
Today is the feast of Ss. Basil the Great and Gregory Nazianzen - men both known for their wisdom. "Wisdom" can be a tricky th...