So, in the joy of the season, here is what I Hate About Christmas:
- Fruitcake. I think this makes the top of everyone's list, doesn't it? Except for my mother. She likes it. It may be her only flaw.
- The 12 Days of Christmas. No. Just. Stop. Singing. That.
- The Martha Stewart Effect. This is the phenomenon wherein you must have decorated every square inch of your home in coordinating colors, have a plate of cookies fresh from the oven at every given moment, and have made a gingerbread mansion that lights up from the inside that you made your very own little self. Two words: Dollar Store.
- Joy To The World. I'm probably gonna get chewed up and spit out on this one, but hear me out. I have cantored every Midnight Mass for the past decade. By the time we get to the final hymn, Joy To The World, I have no voice. I just want to be done. It's like a marathon for singers. It's a beautiful hymn, but I can usually manage to just croak it out.
- People who get twisted up about "Happy Holidays." It's ok. Breathe. Smile. Say "thank you." Christmas spirit, people!
- Feeling like you have to do EVERYthing in order to give your kids that "perfect" Christmas. When you have little ones, you've got to do a Jesse Tree, and Elf on a Shelf, and an Advent wreath, and an Advent Calendar, and homemade ornaments, and....
- Stuff. So much stuff. Just for the sake of having a ton of stuff under the tree. Stuff no one really needs. Stuff.